Director's Report - October 2023
Each month Director Juli Moreno presents a report to the Board of Directors highlighting the previous month’s activities.
Senior Center Board of Directors Meeting
October 12, 2023
Administration: Juli Moreno
- Site passed building inspection, as well as boiler/furnace annual inspection.
- Awning arrived! Installed by King Awning
- Designated as Cooling / Heating Center (at present only hours of operation)
- Worked with FRCOG to conduct a focus group in October for digital equity info to send to state.
- FRCOG to support vaccination information, sign up for clinics, establishing access for site and homebound.
- Juli is now officially on the Advisory Council for LifePath, once monthly meetings.
- Applied for digital hybrid grant, utilizing lessons learned from lack of previous digital equity grant.
- Open Air committee, Rec Committee, and some local businesses are now in network, sharing items for newsletters and postings.
- YMCA will do nutrition and fitness in Spring at Center.
- LifePath conducting a Fall Prevention series in Sept-Nov every Friday, 17+ signed up
- Agenda-driven weekly staff meetings occurring, meeting notes available.
- Requested that Aerobics returned, being held Tuesday evenings at 4:30pm, numbers slowly increasing.
- Cards/Cribbage/Bridge is making a comeback!
- Walking Club starting at Cowell Gym, wellness class attendance increasing.
- Multiple learning and presentations this Fall, starting Armchair Travel with lunch, opening meals to 40 people.
- Posts and information sharing on social media.
- T-Shirts still available!
- Newsletter more feedback, submissions from members and requests for email version for those that live out of area
- Ad in Ashfield Film Festival program
- Sharing of events with various vendor newsletters such as Lifepath, West County Shopper
- Caregiver and Home Repair grants renewed for coming year, $10345 in total until Sept24.
- Completed three bill runs, coding and budgeting.
- Completed three Turnover of cash and donations to Town Hall.
- Completed FRTA, RSVP, Caregiver Grant monthly reports.
Outreach: Teddy Doucette
Outreach 59 unduplicated individuals
Home Visit/transportation - 19
Risk / Counseling:
- 22 check-in calls or home visit to at risk and/or isolated seniors
- provided supportive counseling 12 times.
- provided support with Medical Management 7 times.
LifePath grant status:
- coordinated home repair or technology support for 15
- co-facilitated monthly Caregiver Support Group with 8 attending.
- co-facilitated monthly Memory Cafe with 13 attending.
- CISA and Farm Share- 20, all done for the season.
- helped 3 with RMV issues.
- referred 2 for Home Modification Program
- assisted 3 with housing applications and/or provided necessary information about housing
- SHINE appointments or resolution of insurance issues for 8 (with Leanne and Teddy once monthly), open enrollment, Teddy finishing all day trainings, shadowing Leanne.
Activities: Dot Lyman (weekly counts, unless otherwise noted)
- Lifepath meal inside every Thurs - average 10-12 per meal
To Go Meals
- 9/12 – baked rigatoni with ham, tomatoes, feta, Mexican corn salad, dessert – 46
- 9/26 – turkey meatball grinder, cukes & tomatoes, chips, dessert -56
Health and Clinics:
- Foot Care- 9/11 – 12 (S6, B3, A3), 9/25 – 12 (B7, S3, A2)
- Ask the Nurse – 9/26 - 14
- Yoga with instructor 8
- Matter of Balance workshop – series of 8, 17 attending
- Dance Aerobics exercise – 6 per session
- Healthy Bones & Balance exercise program in person, Weds at 10 in Senior Center - 10 people, 2 instructors, Thurs at 10 in Ashfield – 13 people, 2 instructors
- Tai Chi for Beginners- every Tuesday - 10
- Tai Chi for Arthritis every Thursday – 10
- BINGO every Thursday – 10-12 people each time.
- Knitting group – every Thursday 10-15 people
- Ashfield COA lunch – 9/7- 12 people.
- Men's Night – 9/13 – Silver Screen Design tour - 6
Education and Expression:
- Origami and Beyond (6-week workshop and beyond)- 10
- Sen. Learning Network – 9/5 “Manhattan Project Nat. Historic Park” – 1, 9/19 “N. Carolina Maritime Museum” – 1
- Conversation Café – 9/25 – “Elder Law” presented by Kate Downes - 38
- Veteran’s Agent here the 4th Wed. every month – open for drop ins
- Information on Assisted Living – 5
- Senior Medicare Patrol presentation – 9/27 – 4
- Craftworks – Sept 8 – windchimes - 5
- Memoir Writing by Zoom (held every Friday) – 10 people per time.
- Novel Idea Book Club – 8-10 people
- Drumming – every Monday – 10 people
Transport- Bob Szafran
- Sept23- logged in 2731 miles this month (A-38, B-31, S-35, other-133)
- 72 Med rides, 82 shopping, 35 other